The Mindful Dietician – Episode 29
I was recently featured on The Mindful Dietician Interview Series! Fiona Sutherland, a registered Dietitian in Australia, hosts this series of interviews for Dietitians and Nutritionists who want to promote a peaceful relationship with food and bodies.
I shared how we can use mindfulness and objectivity to cultivate positive and diverse online content, the beautiful synergy of mindfulness and mindful eating, how to build mindfulness skills and be patient and compassionate during the process, an introduction to RAIN, the importance of ‘de-experting’ and applying a ‘beginner’s mind’, introducing our clients to mindfulness and how we can encourage the practice thoughtfully.
Be sure to subscribe to The Mindful Dietician Interview Series to hear more fantastic episodes!
Here’s what you will learn in this episode:
- The up’s and down’s of social media and online connections.
- Using mindfulness and objectivity to cultivate positive and diverse content.
- Understanding the ‘Mere-Exposure Effect’ in the HAES/non-diet paradigm.
- ‘Needing clothes that fit bodies, not bodies that fit clothes’; the lack of size diversity in fashion inhibiting opportunities for self-expression.
- The humble and beautiful synergy of mindfulness and mindful eating.
- How mindfulness supports the practitioner-client relationship and provides space for clients to be with their own experience.
- Building mindfulness skills through a dedicated and consistent practice and the importance of being patient and compassionate during the process, for ourselves and our clients.
- Using mindfulness to ‘de-expert’ and apply a ‘beginner’s mind’.
- An introduction to RAIN*, the need to belong and being good to ourselves.
- Introducing our clients to mindfulness and how we can encourage the practice whilst being thoughtful to diet mentality ‘all-or-nothing’ thinking.
*Tara Brach – RAIN meditation (The RAIN of self-compassion)