When I start working with a client, I help her to identify why she wants freedom from food and weight worries. Over my 20+ years’ involvement with the More to Life programme, I’ve come to know the value of the ‘why’ question. Why is this important to you? What does it mean to you, in your heart of hearts? The reason it’s so important is that your why is what connects you to what matters most to you; it fuels your motivation. It’s what helps you through when the road seems rough.
This topic came up in my business development group, and some of us decided to blog our ‘why’ – why we do what we do – so I thought I’d turn the tables a bit and let you know why I do what I do.
What I do
I help people to free themselves from yo-yo dieting, emotional eating and body shame, so they can feel relaxed around food, at ease in their body and reach their natural weight without dieting or deprivation.
Why I do it
- It matters to me that you free yourself from unnecessary suffering
- It matters to me that you know (not know as a concept, but truly know) that you are inherently valuable, just as you are, right now
- It matters to me that you learn how to accept yourself, just as you are, in this body. with your exact history, in this reality, because acceptance dissolves suffering
- I believe your life is about so much more than your body and its shape – and I want to help you find that part of yourself that doesn’t just know that in your head, but believes that too
- I want to be a part of shifting consciousness and shifting the culture – away from one that is tied up in unrealistic and mostly unattainable ideas of beauty, and towards one that empowers people to be their most noble selves – one which values people for their contribution to the world – whatever that is
- I want to be a part of creating a more loving and caring world
- Because I am a loving, caring person
And my Big Why
Because life is precious; life is actually quite a miracle. I feel immensely grateful for mine (including my relationship with food and my body) and I want to offer it in service of a world that is more loving, joyful and peaceful.
How about you? Why do you do what you do? What really matters to you?
Email me if you want to set up a time to uncover your whys. I’d love that!
PS: Here are links to my business mentor and others in our group who have blogged about why they do what they do.
Judith Morgan: (business coach)
Jo Baker: (ditched the rat race and running off-grid retreats in Spain)
Michi Mathias (illustrator)